If being overweight has been causing health issues and you are not able to live your life fully – you might be the right candidate for weight loss surgery. Bariatric surgery is not for everyone but it can be a very effective tool for treating obesity and obesity related illnesses.
Patient History Criteria
- You are unable to achieve a healthy body weight for a sustained period of time, even through medically-supervised dieting
- Realistic expectations and motivation
- Commitment to the post surgery follow-up consisting of post op visits, dietary, vitamin and mineral protocol
- Ability to understand the implications of bariatric surgery as well as risks
Patients considering the LAP-BAND® adjustable gastric band system should have:
- BMI of 30 or greater AND one or more obesity related comorbid condition (please note that health insurance companies will only cover the procedure if the BMI is above 35)
There are other considerations in determining of a patient is a good candidate to qualify for bariatric procedure. Dr. Paul Wizman has over 25 years of weight loss surgery experience and will determine which bariatric procedure is right for you during your consultation.
Requirements for Insurance Coverage vs Self Pay
Bariatric surgery requirements will vary from company to company, although they will all have similar guidelines regarding Body mass Index and obesity related illnesses.
Patients paying out of pocket for bariatric surgery avoid extra waiting periods and mandatory multiple nutritional visits.